Friday, October 10, 2014

Purple Cat

This week we focused on Purple Cat! Jace already recognized cats, and ironically purple was actually one of his first words! This was the first week that he seemed confident with the color of the week. Whenever I asked him what color is this? He would say purple. Based on the previous weeks and the reality that the cards I made for this unit are of no interest to Jace, I didn't even bother pulling them out. I may try them next week, but maybe a break from them for a while will peak his interest next time he sees them. While we did a lot of activities with Purple and cats, we also spent a little time on letters this week. I never planned on teaching Jace his letters so soon, but it is actually HIS biggest interest right now. He loves to sing the alphabet (his version) and point to letters and say their name. So going off his cues, I have been helping him with his letters. He has a few alphabet books that he keeps pulling out this week and an alphabet puzzle that he attempts to do. He also plays with a handful of magnetic letters on the fridge (most he threw away without me realizing it!)  Those are really the only toys he will play with currently. I realized that without teaching him he knows about 20 letters just from pointing to the letters while we have sung the alphabet in the past, and from the ABC you-tube videos I put on for him.   I may do some ABC units in the future, but for now, we are just having fun with letters and if he learns them, cool. Really, it's just what he wants to do, and it happens to be educational. Win!

Our purple bin!

We read this book!

 We played with the colored blocks and practiced sorting colors and saying the letters on the blocks.
 He thinks it is funny to put the color on the wrong pile and say "noooooo…." 
 And then he puts it on the right one and squeals!!!
 Pointing to the letters he knows. 
 Coloring with purple crayons, markers, and using purple stickers.
 We made a purple cat out of a footprint, and also a purple ghost to hang up for some fall decor. :) 



Here is his cat breakfast. Kinda looks like a pig with whiskers. Not my best. :)
 I made purple water to freeze into ice cubes. The water was purple going in, and it froze blue. Fail.
 Practiced counting bears!
 Sorting colors again.

 Stringing purple beads. With my help! 
 We painted a pumpkin using purple paint…. and white too. :)

We made a purple cat mask! Well…. I did. haha. He decided to wear it like a necklace. Cool.

That was our week!

1 comment:

  1. "Smelly cat, oh smelly cat"...that is all I can think of! Thanks Phoebe!
    How great that he has gained a love for letters too!! That is so neat! And you are wise to go with what he is interested in. Those footprint decorations turned out adorable! And the cat waffle looks like a cat to me. I don't see a pig at all! That smile with his painted pumpkin is pretty much just adorable! Just Joy! Nice cat mask too!

    ReplyDelete