Monday, December 29, 2014

The Snowy Day

We did one Tot school unit in December. I was so excited about this unit, and still didn't get to all of the activities that I wanted to do, but it was still a lot of fun. The Snowy Day was the perfect book for around Christmas (we did this the week before Christmas!). I wish we lived in snow because the things we could have done for this unit could have been so much better. But that's alright. We still had fun!


We made a snowman with shapes as it's body. Jace already knows his letters and numbers, so I am starting to work on shapes with him. He was so excited to learn them. Oval and circle, and square and rectangle look very similar to him, so we have future tot school units to continue to practice shapes. 


In the book, Peter makes tracks with his feet and then with a stick. So we used pretzel sticks and whipped cream snow to make tracks like Peter.
 Jace's favorite part was dipping the pretzels into the whipped cream and eating them.

Since we didn't have snow to make footprints in, we used water and paper and made footprint tracks. :)



We had a snow man lunch!


We played with glittery snow slime! 

We painted a snowman!


We cut out snowflakes (well, I did and he watched!) He calls them "o-fakes".

We talked about how when things are really cold they turn to ice, but that warm things can melt the cold things. So I froze his dump truck in some ice and we used hot water to melt the ice away. (just like how the hot sun melts cold snow).


We practiced counting!

That was our unit. So many other things I wanted to do, but just ran out of time! :)

2 comments:

  1. Love it!!! You did well with no snow around - great alternatives! I am planning a The Mitten unit for the first of the year and some of what you did are similar to what I have planned!! Love the science!! Might have to do that too! O-flakes...too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! We just started this book on Wednesday! I was inspired to do it because we got ALOT OF REAL SNOW! So, I planned some of the activities I want to do rather quickly.... so I may have to steal some of yours. I agree with Ally... very resourceful for not having any actual snow! :) Looks like so much fun for you too

    And Geez! Jenn and you sure have some smarty pants kids! Ember cannot identify all her numbers and letters yet... she just doesn't seem to interested in them! Haha!

    ReplyDelete